USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Homage to Dr Seuss






Art Journal


Today's image is part of a project by the Daily Painters group to paint eggs. I really have no idea why they chose eggs. Pears were discussed too. There was some argument back and forth about the wisdom of doing this sort of project and whether sales would be lost, but I decided to be a good sport about it and join in the fun.

I have always been a cartoonist as a side line to my "real job" as a serious painter.

I love the fun and freedom of drawing in such a primitive direct way with large flat spaces of color. There is a lot of design involved in cartooning as well.

I've often thought of transforming my cartoons into larger paintings but have never gotten very far with it.


Painters Tip


Sometimes I like to paint on toned canvas. I use my old paint left on the palette to tone canvases or panels for the next painting session. Yesterday, I started a few small paintings on acrylic panels toned with red iron oxide. They create a very nice moody effect with the light acrylic colors over them. They are most successful with simple minimalist compositions. It's almost like doing color field work but with subjects rather than shapes. I'll show you one tomorrow....

No comments: