USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Blondheim Art Original Paintings



Western North Carolina Field
12x16 inches
mixed media on linen panel
copper or gold frame

800.00

Purchase HERE



Painters Tip



Casein-Transparent Oils process continued....


I have been experimenting with several different approaches to this process. In some paintings, I paint directly on the casein with the T Oils. The biggest problem I see with this is the possibility that the final dried painting will varnish unevenly because of course, a few spots are missed in the top layer of paint, leaving some of the casein unpainted. If it varnishes evenly, then it will be fine in the end. Time will tell.

The second method of painting over the casein with Garrett's Copal, gives the under painting a warm softer look because of the amber color. Using that method produces a more tonal painting, softening the overall color since the oils are transparent. It's a nice look. However, some of my paintings need a brighter lighter color, so another approach is also needed.

The third method is using Gamblin Galkyd painted over the casein prior to glazing. This method seems to be the best overall of the three. I simply stroke the Galkyd in a thin even layer over the casein painting and immediately start to work with the transparent oils. The color stays bright and crisp which is my favorite "look" for my work. The other advantage to this method is that it helps the transparent oils to dry faster. They are extremely slow drying taking months and months to dry.

I'm sure with further experiment and painting time, that I am going to be able to get this technique to a high level. I really like it and I think I am on to something for me with this. It has the advantage of time management, the beauty of transparent, luminous color, and good detail when needed. I plan to go out on location with the casein to paint, and then do the other process in my studio, another big advantage.

No comments: