USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Sunday, January 11, 2009

This week's MAKE AN OFFER painting, Sunday Afternoon Rides, What should collectors do with too many paintings?



Lake Alice
8x10 inches
oil on Masonite Panel
Make an Offer

Your offer must be at least 10.00 You must pay Florida sales tax of 6.75% if you live in Florida and 4.00 for shipping. Send your offer to lindablondheim@gmail.com and put OFFER in the message line.

I'm a Sunday afternoon ride fan. When I was a child, my Daddy had a Model T Ford truck. It was the hit of the neighborhood because it was so old and even then it was stylish to have vintage cars. In those days it was customary to have a big full meal on Sunday afternoon with friends and family dropping in to eat. We often had fried chicken, which is still my favorite comfort food, or a baked ham, equally delicious. To this day, if I a worried or sad, I'll get the cast iron skillet out and fry chicken. Nothing is more comforting and I know no true southerner who doesn't love good fried chicken. Try the fried chicken at the Dixie Grill on US 98 in Live Oak Florida. It is incredible.


There were vine ripe beefsteak tomatoes right out of the garden, mashed potatoes and cream gravy, field peas and often homemade cakes and pies for dessert. In those days people really cooked and my love of cooking comes from my grandmother Resch who made Divine chicken perlow and homemade banana pudding in a deep Pyrex dish. That was the ultimate.


After stuffing ourselves and being turned loose outside to play and get out of the adults' hair, Daddy would load us in the truck for a Sunday drive. What I loved the most about it is the randomness and lack of purpose other than passing the time. People used to just have fun. We are so work oriented now from cradle to grave, that I wonder what happened?


We rode for miles on dusty roads in the back of that old pick up, going about 40 miles an hour. Daddy would yell out songs to us and we would sing along together, bouncing along, pretending that we were on a hay ride.


Perhaps it's time to bring back the Sunday afternoon drive, now that gas has gone down again.



Making Room for Art


Have you collected all the art you have room for but want to keep collecting? You are an artist's dream!! Here are some ways to enjoy more art.


Start a lending library among family and friends. lend out paintings for 6 months or a year at a time. Keep track of the paintings by using a data base. Put the dates of the loan and when they are expected to return with all contact information. You will be sharing your collection with many who cannot afford original art.


Rotate your art by storing half your collection for a year at a time. Each time you rotate, it will be a breath of freshness to see the beloved pieces again. You will have a new sense of pride in them.


Hang the work salon style. This is quite fashionable and fun for visitors. It involves hanging works floor to ceiling, frame to frame. I have the work in my office hung this way and it is fascinating to visitors. I never fail to get a Wow! reaction to this hanging style.


Hang work at your business office. Others will enjoy it and you can rotate the paintings every six months.


Enjoy paintings and then give them to friends for special gifts. Buy the painting, enjoy it for awhile and then give it to someone you care for. You will be able to visit the painting whenever you wish to, but spread the joy of ownership to to others, while creating more space for new art.


See my paintings HERE





4 comments:

Bill Brauker said...

Stop it, Linda! You're making me hungry. heheh.

You brought back such wonderful memories for me. My family in Michigan did the same thing on Sundays, big meal, then we would all pile into the car and off we would go for our Sunday drive. What a magical time.

Oh yeah, the painting, it is terrific!

Linda Blondheim said...

Bill,
Aren't these childhood memories wonderful? Let's make an effort to bring these fun activities back into our lives. I'll bring the fried chicken. :>)
Thanks for the kind comment.
Love,
Linda

Martin Figlinski said...

Linda,

The Sunday meal you described sounds much like what I still get to enjoy at my mother-in-law's on Sunday's. She makes wonderful fried chicken and always has fresh peas, homemade mashed potoes and gravy and of course sliced tomatoes. And by the way, Dixie Grill is a great place for breakfast. I love their homemade sausage! I usually stop there on my way up from South Florida art shows. ;)

Martin Figlinski

Linda Blondheim said...

Martin,
I am green with envy. You sure married the right girl! Glad you are a Dixie Grill fan too. Their hot roat beef sandwich with fries is killer good too!!
Love,
Linda