USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Saturday, December 06, 2008

My Cedar Key Florida Adventure



Palm Grove
20x24 inches
oil on Birch Panel


Yesterday, I took my mother,sister, and Studio Dog (Henry, the French Bulldog)on a boat tour of Cedar Key Islands. It was splendid in every way. In fact, I plan to go back and do it again by myself, to take photos of the Islands for paintings. I'm also planning to take the Suwanee River boat tour and the Birding Tour.

We placed ourselves in the very capable hands of Captain Doug. He was extremely knowledgeable about the history of the area, as well as the birds, flora and Fauna of the islands surrounding Cedar Key. He knew just where to go to see all of the interesting birds, like the large white Pelicans, which I have never seen in all my years of painting on the Florida coast. They were large magnificent birds, snow white with black feathers under their wings. One of my favorite islands was Horseshoe Key, now leased by the University of Florida's Marine Science lab. The lighthouse there is used as a dorm for students and researchers. There are many beautiful palms growing wild on the islands and the beaches are white sand. Happily, all of these outer islands are owned by the national and state land preservation agencies, so they cannot be developed. That makes me very happy indeed.

We were able to watch the Dolphins and they played surfing games in the wake of our boat. We saw a huge Bald Eagle nest and two Eagles at another island. We even got off the boat at one Island to explore the trails.

Captain Doug was in every way accommodating to us, allowing me to bring my dog and helping my Mother on and off the boat with great care. Mrs Captain was warm and personable and we met their daughter who is also a boat captain. The whole family was delightful.

Here is some information for you about the tours:

Captain Doug invites you to experience the pristine waters surrounding the Cedar Keys and Lower Suwanee National Wildlife Refuge aboard Cedar Key's finest touring vessels.

We offer Island Tours, Suwanee River Tours, Coastal Back Country Tours,Birding Island Drop offs, Group Charters, Weddings and Memorials.

Telephone reservations: 352.543.9523 or 352.949.1996
Web Site: www.tidewatertours.com
email: captaindoug@tidewatertours.com

We had a wonderful dockside meal at the Seabreeze Restaurant. The waitress was personable, happy and friendly. She gave us excellent service and the food was fresh seafood and fantastic.

It was a wonderful adventure and I look forward to the next trip with Captain Doug. I hope to get started on some paintings soon from Cedar key.


This week's Make an Offer Painting. Make an offer at lindablondheim@gmail.com. Current high offer is 50.00

3 comments:

Deborah Paris said...

What a wonderful trip to share with your family, Linda. This brings back such memories! My husband and my dad used to fish regularly at Cedar Key- my dad would drive over from Keystone Heights and my husband up from Dade City. About once a year, we would rent a condo there and spend the weekend with my parents. The guys would fish and Mother and I would paint (she was a plein air watercolorist). I'm sure it was perfect this time of year-thanks for reminding me of such happy times!

Linda Blondheim said...

Deborah,
Happy times indeed. I know you must treasure those memories as I will this one Deborah.
Love,
Linda

Making A Mark said...

Congrats on having this painting nominated for the Making A Mark Award for best artwork on a blog in 2008.

Nominations will be posted tomorrow!