USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Monday, January 22, 2007

Blondheim Art original Floral Landscape Acrylic



5x7 inches
acrylic on panel
unframed
115.00
Purchase: Here






Painters Tip


Signing Your Work


Back in the day when I was starting out, I had a huge sprawling signature on my paintings. One of my dealers was kind enough to chastise me about the signature. People weren't purchasing my work because of the gaudy signature on it, not because they disliked my paintings.



I decided to do some unscientific polling on preferences. I talked with artists who were pro, dealers, and a few museum people I knew, as well as art patrons. They all agreed that a signature on the actual painting was very important, with real paint, not markers or stamps. They did not like large signatures and preferred the last name only. Not lots of initials, multiple names or worse cute names like art by Suzie, or first names only. They also disliked a lot of scrolly writing with angles tilts and flourishes. They preferred cursive rather than block printing.


Now I try to keep it simple with my last name only, not large enough to be annoying. I pick the left or right bottom corner, in space that is not too busy in the painting; high enough so that the frame rabbit does not cover the signature. I try to select a paint color which is harmonious or at least neutral.


I use a very small signature brush, making the paint very thin, like ink, but not thin enough to run. I sign the painting when it is tacky enough not to have the signature disappear into the paint below. Practicing writing a clean cursive signature should be done on scrap panels until you get it right.


I never date my paintings unless a client asks me to. I write the date on the back if requested, along with any pertinent information such as historical locations.

2 comments:

Ed Terpening said...

Interesting survey on signatures. I scratch my signature in, ie, while the paint is wet i take a sharp object (a can openner, actually) and scratch my signature. I get a nice clean line. i typically don't have the patience to go back and sign later. No complaints yet from galleries or collectors.

Linda Blondheim said...

Ed,
Yes, lots of alla prima painters do that, and I did too when I was doing alot of alla prima work. My survey was unscientific but I thougt it was interesting.
Love,
Linda