USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Blondheim Art Original Oil Landscape Painting Palms



8x10 inches
oil on panel
silver frame
500.00

purchase: HERE




Painters Tip


Evolving In Our Process


I believe that painters who are open to new ideas, will evolve in their painting process. I started out as a drawing major in art school and did many years of painstaking, photorealism drawings. I became bored with the process and progressed to fresh new drawing experiments, which were less fomulaic. I painted some large abstracts in art school which were quite bad of course. About 15 years ago, I did a period of very loose pastel paintings for a couple of years. They were primitive, primary colors, mostly palms, and I still run into people who wish I was still working that way. I then began playing around with oil landscapes, and became a plein air painter about 13 years ago. I did that exclusively for about three years. I was very much into the whole phenomenon of being a "plein Air snob". After a time, I felt the alla prima method of working lacked finesse and refinement. It is great for studies but I really felt that I could be a better painter by doing multiple sessions on location with drying time in between and eventually realized that studio work was wonderful too. By using location work and studio work, I have the best of both worlds. My style has refined itself too over the years, though it is still unmistakably mine.


I give you this history to point out that a good painter evolves through stages and processes throughout their career. That does not mean that they go willy nilly from one style or medium to the next, with no rhyme or reason. Many of the stages go on for a number of years, gradually evolving from one to the next. Sometimes they are so gradual that the artist never notices, but makes the discovery when seeing older work in someone's home.


Developing style takes years of work and some maturity. What you are doing as an emerging artist may not be what you will do in ten years. Even if you are doing the same medium and subject ten years from now, the work must grow and mature with effort and time.

No comments: