USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Monday, November 27, 2006

Fall Vineyard



5x7 inches
acrylic on panel
unframed
115.00

purchase at: www.lindablondheim.com



Painters Tip


More on Supports


I was asked about adhering linen or canvas to supports. There are several methods to this including very complicated formulas by various panel makers. I like to use the old fashioned rabbit skin glue for mine. I think it has weathered the test of time. If it was good enough for the old masters, it's good enough for me. I use a heavy weight on the panel after it is glued down overnight. Having said that, I usually just purchase panels from my favorite company Source Tek www.canvaspanels.com, if I want to use linen panels, but now and then I have an old piece of linen clothing I can use.


There are several choices for rigid supports including:

Wooden panels- oak, poplar, birch, and mahogany have all been used for painting supports. The biggest problem with wood is the weight and warping in humid climates.
cradling the back can solve the warping problem.

Plywood and MDF are pretty good substitutes for hardwoods, however they can get very heavy too in large sizes.


Hardboard ( Masonite being a brand name for hardboard) It is fairly inexpensive and easy to cut in panels. I have a cabinet maker who gets mine and cuts it precisely for me. I love painting on hardboard.


Mass-produced canvas boards- For studies and experiments, student work, these inexpensive boards are fine. Some producers are making archival panels now covered with high quality linen and canvas. Be careful to choose an archival panel for serious work.

Metal- These panels are really nice for oils. A company called Wind River Arts makes wonderful panels from metal. http://www.windriverarts.com I tested a metal panel from them a few years ago and it was great.


Gatorboard- This product is lightweight and very hard. It reminds me of foamcore but much stronger.

Paper and Mat Board- I use both for acrylic painting. I have even done oils on them but they must be carefully sized and protected from the oil paints before using them.

Polyflax- There are now synthetic fabrics which are very strong and durable and are much like canvas in texture.

6 comments:

Making A Mark said...

Jolly useful summary Linda

My workshop last week recommended marine plywood as being an excellent support for contemporary egg tempera paintings - definitely no warping - have you ever tried it?

Linda Blondheim said...

Yes, It is a superior plywood. I am going to have some panels cut. Do you know if it comes in 1/8 inch thick? I don't like the 1/4 inch because it is heavy. Someone sent me a sample to test but it was hvery thick.
Love,
Linda

Jude said...

Hi Linda,

Thank you so much for admiring my red rose painting! Your paintings are beautiful. I love your landscapes! Have a great day!

Thanks,
Jude
artist

Linda Blondheim said...

Jude,
Thanks so much for visiting my blog and for your kind words.
Love,
Linda

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda! I love your "Freddy's Garden" painting-didn't see a place to comment , but I wanted to let you know how much I like it.
Re: painting supports-have you tried Ray Mar panels? I tried some for the first time recently, and I thought they make a very good product. They even have oil-primed linen panels which are really nice to paint on. : )
Leslie

Linda Blondheim said...

Thank you very much Lesley,
That garden is a favorite place for me to paint.

I used to use Ray Mar Panels a lot but the service was unreliable and very slow at the time, so I moved on. The product is quite good though.

Love,
Linda