USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Jacksons Gap



Jacksons Gap
6x8 inches
oil on panel
300.00
silver plein air frame

Purchase at: www.lindablondheim.com

SOLD



Painters Tip


Storing Paintings

When you run out of space but you don't want to have a studio sale, you must find a way to store your paintings. One way is to remove the canvas from the stretcher bars and store the paintings in a flat file or in a plastic box that folks use for large sweaters or coats. You can find them at home improvement stores. They are large rectangular flat boxes. Stack the canvases in the box with freezer paper in between back to back and front to front. I like to put a silica capsule in the box to keep any moisture out but that is because I live in Florida.

I have made a storage place in the ceiling of my studio for large stretched canvases by putting heavy hooks in the ceiling and using bungie cords to hold up canvases. Once one is secure, you can slide other canvases on top of that one. It works great and hardly anyone notices that they are there because the ceiling in the hallway is high.

I stack smaller paintings on panels on top of each other,back to back,front to front, after putting them in plastic sleeves, in a drawer in my framing chest (old Dresser). In a decent sized dresser drawer you can store 30-40 paintings unframed.

Stretcher bars can be dismantles carefully and stored together as four pieces wrapped up in tape or a bungie.

Of course there is also the under bed and sofa storage too. Untilizing furniture as a hidy hole for paintings is a great use of your precious space.

2 comments:

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Thank you for your tips. They may help me from having to rent a heated storage room. It is controversial hanging up work for free, but I do for some purposes.I have had good connections and hang up my paintings, for example, in a mental health therapy busineses. I have satisfaction knowing that the paintings are healing and are therapy for the therapists.

Linda Blondheim said...

Parapluie,
I have sold many paintings by hanging them in medical offices, hospitals and banks. Not a thing wrong with that. Anytime you can get your work out oif the studio and into the public view, it is a plus.

Love,
Linda