USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Friday, November 09, 2007

Blondheim Art Original Paintings



See my paintings HERE

Art Notes Blog HERE


My Ebay Studio Sale starts November 19, 2007 and runs through November 29, 2007 All paintings will start at 2.99 with no reserve and 4.00 shipping.



Painters Tip


More Color Mixing

The primary triad consists of red/yellow/blue. The second group, known as the secondary triad consists of orange/green/violet. In the secondary triad the contrast is softer. This occurs because in any pair of the triad there is a common color.

Where colors appear next to each other on the color wheel, we have the shortest interval and consequently the most harmonious relationship.

This is because three or four neighboring hues always contain one common color that dominates the group. (Analogous colors)

Many well known landscape painters like the primary triad color palette. I use it myself sometimes for field painting because is is only the three primaries + white, or + white and black for tinting and toning. It definitely follows the KISS rule. The paintings are harmonious but the drawback to me is that after a while all of the paintings look alike. There are only so many possibilities with such a limited palette.

4 comments:

Nancy Merkle Fine Art said...

Reading your tips is a pleasure--thanks for sharing your ideas.
Nancy

http://small-impressions.blogspot.com

Linda Blondheim said...

You are too kind Nancy. I'm gla they are useful.
Love,
Linda

Deborah Paris said...

Hi Linda. Very interesting reading on color! I have used a limited palette for many years (primaries + white and black). It really helped me focus on color harmony and learn a great deal about color. I also think its very useful for my students- it forces them to learn to mix color (rather than relying on tube colors) -which in turn aids in understanding the three attributes of color- value, temperature and chroma. Now I am using a broader palette and particularly focusing on using transparent color. There is always something new and fascinating to learn- that's why painting is a never ending learning experience and what makes it so compelling. Your students are lucky to have such a serious and dedicated teacher!

Linda Blondheim said...

Thanks Deborah,
Kind words from a very fine painter. I have been tweaking a tetradic palette for about 7 months and I really like it. I used the same palette you described for a long time, but I wanted to develop a new, more subtle palette. I will work with this one for awhile. You are right, color study is very complex and always a learning journey.
Love,
Linda