USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Blondheim Art Orange Lake

18x24 inches
oil on canvas
silver frame
Purchase HERE

Painters Tip
Choose Favorite Places

I don't know about other plein air painters but I have my favorite places that I go back to over and over again. Monet comes to mind with his lilies and haystack paintings and the cathedrals . I don't know of any other way to thoroughly know a fine subject than painting it many times. If it is good enough for the first painting, it may deserve repeated efforts.

I have ten or twelve regular locations where I love to paint. They often have sentimental value to me as places I have known since childhood. They give me the "warm fuzzies" to paint there. I rotate through them and by the time I get back to them they are like new again. I see them with fresh eyes and great enthusiasm. We have an emotional history, these special places and me.

For a more practical reason, painting locations repeatedly gives me a chance to really understand the scene in front of me. Sooner or later I am going to hit the jackpot if I paint a scene often enough. I can experiment with lighting,palette, and new compositions because I know these places so well. I am very comfortable with my painting self.

Next time you go past a scene you have wanted to paint, add it to your list of favorites.

No comments: