USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Blondheim Art Apalachicola Bay



8x10 inches
oil on panel
SOLD

Painters Journal


Here I am in Apalach, painting happily. I am staying with a new host this year for the paint out. She is a real doll. She lives in a restored craftsman bungalow, my favorite architecture. She has a converted garage behind the house, made into a small apartment where I am staying. It is really cool. I have my own entrance and car park. Her yard looks out on Apalachicola Bay. She makes my breakfast every morning and we dine al fresco while watching activites on the bay. I could definitely get used to this lifestyle.


Yesterday I painted with my friend Mary Jane, on the deck of a restaurant called Steamers in Apalach on the bay. The nicest most generous people ever. The started out by insisting on giving us cold drinks. We had planned to eat lunch there, but the would not take our money at all. Finally, as we left, they gave us one of their logo baseball caps. One of the things I find over and over again in my travels, is the generosity of many of the people I meet. Even though I live very modestly, I have a rich life.

I'll check in again as time permits. It is 5:00 AM as I post this.






Painters Tip


Doing professional paint outs over the years has taught me a thing or two. First of all they are very demanding and stressful. You have a short time to produce a fair amount of paintings, so you are working for very long hours. The paintings must be of a consistent sellble quality because the promoter must recoup his investment, and of course, you need to sell to make a living as well. Most painters go out for a few hours to paint, stop for lunch an then head back home to relax. Professional painters at events must paint from 7 AM- 8-PM for 5-10 days at these paint outs.


My suggestion is that you start the day with your most complicated composition. You are fresh and able to focus on your work the best each morning. Take your time on this one and do it right. In mid day choose a spot with shade if you live in the south. As the day goes on, simplify your compositions and use less detail because your brain will start to go on automatic mode. You will have less ability to focus as your mind starts to numb and your body starts to ache from fatigue. Take a break for lunch and get out of the sun for a bit.

5 comments:

Susan Borgas said...

Linda I really like the depth you have achieved in this work and a big thank you for the wonderful tips that you often do post.

By the way, I have tagged you if you would like to join in. Just follow the following link. http://susanborgas.blogspot.com/2007/05/tagged.html to see what it is all about.

Susan Borgas said...

Linda because you are away from home I am posting a copy of a comment here that I posted for you to make it easier for you to read and it is below. Bye for now.

Linda I should have remembered your trip away. I would understand if you choose not to play unless you want to get the momentum going once more for tagging other blogs. I will be in touch when you are back home.

Leslie Anne Pease said...

The colors in this are very soft -- spring-like!!!

As always your tips are wonderful!!!

BTW... tag! You're it. (see my Blog for details!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Linda, I cruised over here through Leslie Pease's blog (which derailed me for at least an hour and a half, blog rat that I've turned into).
My friend Diane Scott is in that Paint Out of The Forgotten Coast.
I spent Jan through this past Sunday in Naples,Florida, painting and blogging.
I like your work.

Linda Blondheim said...

Thank you all for the comments. I met Diane the first day at the BBQ but Have not seen her since then. It is a huge area to paint from Mexico Beach to Apalachicola Florida, so no surprise that we have not connected since the first day. I will see her tomorrow night at the first opening for the show. I had dinner tonight with Perry Austin from Alabama so i am meeting new folks everyday.
Love,
Linda