USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Blondheim Art Lake Alice University of Florida 8x10 oil on panel



8x10 inches
oil on panel
500.00
gold frame

Purchase HERE

Painters Journal


This will be my last blog post until June 4, 2007. I am going to be on an extended travel schedule, first to NW Florida to paint in the Forgotten Coast Paint Out, and then to North Carolina to teach two workshops. Please don't give up on me. I will be back.


I now have a Browse Bin Special on my specials page of the web site along with cartoons. Here


Painters Tip



This post is addressed to those of you who make a living from art. I have made the mistake of working too hard this year. Last year I made the mistake of getting involved in groups which were not good for me and they made me unhappy. I finally got away from that and replaced it with overwork. I am overbooked constantly. It is too easy to work 18 hours a day when you work for yourself. No time clock to punch, no overtime worries from management. I am single, so there is no spouse to answer to. Saturday I got away for three hours to paint all by myself for the first time in months. I enjoyed it more than I can say. It made me wonder why I have worked myself into a situation where I am constantly doing some project that keeps me in the studio, painting for publicity, or working at the computer rather than out on location enjoying what I do best. It seems like just yesterday I used to be out painting regularly just for the joy of it.

Here is what I must do about it. I have already started. I am gradually weaning out most of the organizations I belong to. I have given up all of the art magazines which used to take up my valuable time to read, I am taking a month off from committments in July and January each year from now on. I have two one day committments in July already scheduled but other than that both of those months will remain empty from now on. That gives me time to paint for myself uninterrupted during those two months. I will consider them to be painting holidays for myself.

I am getting activities prioritized, sorting them into levels of importance in terms of what I like to do and what I must do to provide a living for myself. The "must do" has to stay at the top of the list in order to continue as a professional artist. The "like to do" must at least have a chance to be on the schedule. Without that, there is little pleasure in my job. The third category combines the two "like and must". I can do this because I like it and it makes a living for me. That category would include research and teaching as well as professional paint outs.

I must be more careful about what I am willing to say yes to. I have found myself asking " Why did I agree to this?" too many times this year. I must be more selective about what will actually pay off for me both financially, emotionally, and in good PR. That means taking time for analysis before I say yes and not allowing myself to be pressured for an answer immediately. It also means asking the tough questions about money and expenses to those who invite.

These are issues that every professional artist faces eventually.

4 comments:

Phyllis Russell Franklin said...

Linda, last year I did the exact same thing, but I decided to take the entire year off. My circumstances would allow this and I needed the time off for my spirit. I can tell you I haven't regreted it. Opportunities still come my way and I am still selling, and the sun comes up each morning. One thing I have learned is that if you don't take care of yourself first, you will not be any good for work and others. I think you are wise to create a plan, pick and choose, and plan time for fun and spirit.

Linda Blondheim said...

Amen Sister!!!
Love,
Linda

Making A Mark said...

Sounds like very sound advice to me Linda.

However, it's one thing knowing it, quite another thing doing it though.....I was supposed to be producing more work this year and it's not happened yet and I've started to take some time out to take stock and rethink priorities

Linda Blondheim said...

Katherine,
I know what you mean. Much easer said than done for me. :>)