USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Blondheim Art Field in North Carolina




8x10 inches
oil on panel
500.00
Purchase HERE


Painters Journal



I can't remember the last time I was this tired. I am a zombie. I am heading home after lunch today and I will probably have to stop overnight just to sleep some. This year has been an incredible adventure, but now I must go home to recuperate for the summer. Of course that doesn't mean I will be idle. I have a commission to finish, an open house for the studio and a one day workshop all in June.


Workshop Observations

I notice in some workshops that there are students who come in with pre-set notions of how they should be painting. They are inflexible and unwilling to try anything which deviates from their usual system of painting. Many of them spend a great deal of time talking over the instructor and saying things which draw attention to themselves. Spouting their so called knowledge in an effort to look smarter than the teacher. In reality, any painter who has been a professional painter for 30 + years and who was formally educated in the arts is going to know more than any intermediate painter. That is just a fact. Experience counts. I always wonder why on earth they have invested their valuable time and money to take a workshop. They get nothing out of the class and plunge the rest of the students into confusion.

The purpose of a workshop is not self aggrandisement. It is not for doing what you always do. It is not for producing fine paintings or as many paintings as you can get. A workshop is for learning and trying techniques which you are not familiar with,in order to grow as a painter. A good workshop teacher is simply adding to your toolbox. You may wish to save the tools to use and add to your technical procedures, or you may throw them out after the workshop. Attitude is everything.

I see three main problems to overcome:

One is ego. Please leave it at home. Come in as a beginner and try everything. This means following directions and listening instead of talking over your instructor.



Two is fear. Don't be afraid to look dumb or to try everything. You cannot look stupid with a good workshop teacher. There are no stupid questions. Be brave with joy. No one does their best work at workshops, including the teacher. We are distracted and busy. Get over your fear and experiment with joy.



Three is Frustration.

Don't become so easily annoyed when things are hard to understand or to do. Be gentle with yourself and keep frustration at a minimum. Get up from your painting and take a walk. Remember that painting is process oriented, not finished beauty oriented. Enjoy the journey rather than racing to the finish line. I never worry about whether my paintings are wonderful. I enjoy the process itself instead.

2 comments:

Lori McNamara said...

Hi Linda!

I hope you are feeling all right. I just had to laugh at what you were saying about know-it-all workshop students. I have a new lady, she is nice but driving me crazy with unwanted critiques after I told her I didn't want any more. They are brutal too, hehehe! She gives them in the middle of the painting at the worst possible stage.

I think I will start giving her a fine next time she does it! ;o)

Happy Painting!

Lori

Linda Blondheim said...

Lori,
Be firm with her and say "no more. Your behavior is offensive. Either stop the behavior or leave the group." You have no need to put up with that. Anyone who offers unsolicited critiques is just rude.
Love,
Linda