USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Monday, October 08, 2007

Blondheim Art Original Paintings



Two Palms
2 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches
acrylic palm study on index paper


See my paintings HERE

Art Notes Blog HERE


Painters Tip


Thinking about simplified values on location


I have long been a fan of simplified values. I like to use a five value plan when I paint out on location. KISS rule applies for me. Rather than struggling with a full value range, stick to the basic five. In gray scale I am referring to white, black, mid tone gray, mid tone between black and mid gray, and mid tone between white and mid gray.

I will often do a tiny format painting in these five values before I start my real painting, taking 10 minutes or less to complete the value study. It helps to mix these five values and put a line of the swatches up at the top of your panel to use as a reference.

Doing the little value study helps me to understand the values I will need to use in the color painting. It also give me a bit of time to work out the composition in my mind. I might end up doing more than one.

As you know, I am a huge fan of doing studies in painting, and doing small exercises which build technical skills. Don't leave out study time if you want to be a good painter.

No comments: