USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Blondheim Art Original Paintings



Winter Pasture
12x16 inches
oil on panel
Gold Frame
800.00

Purchase HERE

Art Notes Blog HERE


Painters Tip


Selling Plein Air

Plein Air painters have an advantage over studio painters because we are out there in the public eye constantly. Our paintings are usually small, easily transported, less expensive to purchase than large work, and there is always a small niche or desktop to display them at home or the office. Point out these advantages when marketing your paintings.

Always have business cards with you on painting excursions. Point out to patrons that they can display unframed paintings on the little decorative easels that you find in art and camera shops. Keep your sizes standard so that clients are able to purchase less expensive frames on their own.

Go to the local pizza shop and purchase small pizza boxes to keep in your car. They make great painting boxes, which a client can use to carry wet paintings. Giving them optional framing is a good selling technique.

Incorporate shipping options into your selling plan, such as free shipping on purchases of more than one painting. I use USPS Priority Mail for most of my shipping because they give you free boxes. That adds up in savings. Offer gift wrap on paintings with gift cards that have your image on them. This is easy to do with your home computer.

Have a list of selling points with you to refresh your memory. Be prepared to discuss your working methods, and share interesting stories about your painting adventures with observers. You will know when someone is genuinely interested.

What is it about plein air painting that you enjoy? Why is it different than studio work and special? When you come up with a list of reasons, type them up and print them out on a card with one of your images and information. Hand them out to folks who stop to browse. I make single sheet brochures, which is a 1/3 of a piece of 8 1/2x11 index paper. It has the above info with a small image of my work and contact info. I keep one of the lexan brochure holders in my car with the sheets and biz cards. When I stop to paint, I have it with me to give them out to potential patrons.

2 comments:

Jenna Star Friedman said...

These are some great tips for us plein air painters Linda. I often have people stop to talk when I'm out painting, and you've given me some ideas beyond just handing out my card. Thanks!

Linda Blondheim said...

You are welcome Jenna,
Glad I could help.
Love,
Linda