USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Friday, December 22, 2006

Blondheim Art Landscape Painting Palm Hammock



5x7 inches
acrylic on panel
unframed
115.00 includes shipping.
purchase at: www.lindablondheim.com



Painters Tip


Working with acrylics


I have had a love hate relationship with acrylics for a few years now. I have been painting with oils for many years and love them, but I like to experiment with other mediums, giving myself a rest from oils. I'm one of those painters who believes that you have to mix it up to stay fresh.

The first year I worked with acrylics was disastrous. My paintings were ridiculous to put it mildly. The color was harsh, the paint looked plastic and transparent. They were a mess. I put them away and said I would never use them again.

About every 6 months I would get them back out to play again. I guess it galled me that I was going to be defeated by them. I just couldn't let it go.

I have now reached the stage of moderate success with the medium. Somehow, magically, I overcame the value shifts, the garish colors and they no longer look like plastic. I discovered that toning down the color was imperative for success. I also learned that subtle value shifts were the key to painting, rather than trying to blend. In other words, laying paint next to paint with slight value changes, looks like blending.

Most importantly, I learned that they are nothing like painting with oils and to make that attempt is perilous. I think that was my biggest mistake. Because the are painted on canvas and panel like oils, I assumed they would be in the same process.

I am beginning to think of them a a friendly adversary at this point. I paint with them everyday now. They are no longer banished to the closet shelf.

No comments: