USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Friday, December 15, 2006

Blondheim Art Landscape Painting Tree



5x7 inches
acrylic on panel
115.00 includes shipping
unframed
purchase at: www.lindablondheim.com



Painters Tip


I am starting my new study for 2007. I will be painting trees this year as my focus. I start a new study each year around this time. It take that long to really understand a subject or technique. I spent two years focusing on architecture, because it was difficult for me.


Generally, I find if I am avoiding subjects in my painting time, it means I am afraid of them and don't know how to paint them. That is nothing to be ashamed of, and is easily corrected by making a commitment to learning. Yes, you will do some awful paintings for awhile but they can be painted over, sanded down and re-painted, or thrown in the bonfire.

It is a good idea to break up your subject into small studies, not doing large finished paintings for a few months, but rather studying parts and pieces which are difficult. Over the years I have studied back lighting,atmospherics, patterns in water, contrast, texture, architecture, clouds, and many other areas of painting.

I'm not suggesting that you give up all of your other subjects of interest, but rather that you make time to include concentrated study of a subject regularly throughout the year. I find that my study comes to me automatically, as I become interested in places, or objects.

My larger area of focus has become Florida rivers, and farms and ranches. It happened gradually without any planning on my part.

My advice is to choose a subject you are unsure of this year and paint like mad. This time next year you will feel very comfortable painting it and you will be proud of yourself for tackling something you were afraid of.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a very good point, regarding avoiding a certain subject because you are afraid of it. Ultimately, I'm sure everyone has subjects, and even styles, that they prefer; ones that simply work best for them. The difficult question is when are you learning/refining one thing, and when are you avoiding another. This could also apply to colours, dimensions of a canvas, and so on.

Linda Blondheim said...

Soren,
You are right. It does make one wonder about preferences. Is that simply a way out of learning something we are uneasy about or feel unworthy of doing? A question worth pondering.As you say though, some methods and subjects we just feel comfortable with. That's ok too.
Thanks for your excellent comments.
Love,
Linda