USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Blondheim Art Original Paintings



Beach Dunes
8x10 inches
acrylic on panel
gold frame
500.00

Purchase HERE

Art Notes Blog HERE



Painters Tip


Re-Thinking


Now and then I have a painting that just beats the tar out of me. I simply cannot make it work. Thankfully that is not very often these days but for a long time it was a regular occurrence. I have learned to put it away for a few months in a drawer or behind the furniture, where I won't see it.

After a bit of time I take it back out and re-think it. I will usually see the error of my ways pretty quickly and go on to finish it. I will tell you from personal experience that to continue struggling with a painting gone wrong is futile. You have become emotionally attached to the situation and it will beat you. A far better idea is to put it out of sight and mind until you can look at it with objectivity.

When you look at it again, think before you pick up the brush. First you must discover what is wrong before you can right it. Is it the color harmony? That is usually the big problem for me. Is the brushwork too sloppy or in the opposite, to tight and illustrative? Are there compositional problems? Value problems? Contrast problems? Get an idea of here you want to go before you tackle it. Look for the simplest solutions first. You have a fair chance of getting a good painting out of it.

Like the carpenter's advice about measuring, think twice, then pick up the brush.

No comments: