USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Friday, August 31, 2007

Blondheim Art Original Paintings



Indian Pass Marshes
8x10 inches
oil on panel


See my paintings HERE

Art Notes Blog HERE

My Ebay Listings HERE



Painters Tip


The current trend in landscape painting seems to be fast and loose with emphasis on that being the better way. I am thinking just the opposite myself. I am slowing down a bit in my process, thinking a lot more about what I want to do. It is just as easy to have a nice loose look to your work with time spent in the process with deliberate steps. It is far better than throwing paint at a canvas with no thought, save for intuition, and hoping for the best. I know I am in the minority on this and that's ok with me.

Intuitive painting was my process for a good 20 years and I justified it to myself, saying that it was the creative way to paint. Looking back over that body of work, I find that I was extremely naive about the quality of that approach to painting.

Fast and loose without good bones is sloppy painting. I think it a disservice to beginning and intermediate painters to incourage them to paint intuitively, without good fundamentals and technical proficiency in painting.

If you are a beginner, slow down and study the elements of composition and design deliberately and with determination. Once you have proficiency with your brushwork, color mixing, an understanding of composition, values, and other elements that make a good painting, you can then paint fast and loose with confidence if you wish to.

No comments: