USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Friday, September 21, 2007

Blondheim Art Original Paintings



Beach Palms
12x16 inches
oil on panel
gold frame
800.00

Purchase HERE

Art Notes Blog HERE


Painters Tip

Two Hats


Professional painters have to wear two hats. One as a painter and one as a business person. I try to keep my hats separated as much as possible and I think it helps to do so.

One of the reasons many artists can't make a living at their art is because they refuse to learn anything about business and marketing. They have bought into the idea that selling will contaminate their art and make it less than wonderful. What nonsense!!

I do believe that I must wear my painter's hat when I am working at the easel. I cannot be concerned about whether the new palette I am using will decrease my sales, or whether the subject I choose to paint may or may not sell. My job as a painter is to paint as well as I can and to learn as much as I can about the process of being an artist. That is what drives me toward the goal of excellence.



When I step away from the easel, I must become a pretty good business person in order to keep painting each day and enjoying what I do best. I must separate myself from the painter and become the marketer and the idea person. I must believe in my product entirely and be willing to sell it wholeheartedly. If I don't believe in my paintings who on earth will? This is not about the artist's ego, it is about believing in the product you make and put your name on. That is a big deal isn't it? If you are not wholeheartedly behind your paintings, then you must find another way to live. Why would I try to sell a product that I'm not proud of? I could never do that. I have worked for 30 years to be a good painter and I do the best I possibly can with the ability that has been given to me. I owe it to myself to believe in my work and to actively pursue selling it so that I can continue to do my life's work.

Happily, the two hats work pretty well and I try to keep them in good balance. I believe that is really the key. Too much marketing time is a lot of pressure. Too much painting time and no marketing makes for an empty bank account and too many paintings in the studio.

No comments: