USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Friday, February 09, 2007

Blondheim Art Original Acrylic Landscape Painting

5x7 inches
acrylic on panel
unframed
115.00 includes shipping
Purchase: HERE




Artist Journal

I have to take a couple of days off from the blog because this weekend is my annual Dessert and Coffee Party. I will resume posting on Monday. I have been doing small painting this year and have framed them all to hang salon style in the studio for this party. It is a good show I think, all of them framed alike and hung together. That is the kind of alla prima work I enjoy, doing the little paintings. They are each a new adventure. They have improved my technical skill with acrylics too, and I believe for me, the small format is the only way to go with acylics. They are not as successful for me in large format as a medium. I will stick with oils for larger paintings than 12x16.

The great thing about these studio parties is that it builds camaraderie between me,my patrons, and other artists, and I have an opportunity to make new friends. It is a festive atmosphere and a great way to interact with people who enjoy art. If you are going to be in North Florida this weekend, please come to the party.

Linda Blondheim Art Studio

Dessert and Coffee Party

Featuring Small Treasures and Sweet Treats

Saturday and Sunday

February 10-11, 2007

10 AM - 5PM

Painters Tip

Exhibition Experience

Yesterday I judged an art exhibit at a nearby college. It was an interesting show with a variety of subjects, mediums, and styles. I like to take my time judging work and to give it my respect. Each artist who is willing to go to the effort of framing the work, paying entry fees and delivering their work to a show is to be commended, and they deserve my thoroughness in judging a show.

Some of the things I look for are respect from the artist for their own work. Does he/she care enough to present the work in clean mats, and frames which are in good condition with proper wiring? I’m not suggesting that one must use custom frame work or even expensive frames, but they should be in good condition and the kind of frame which will enhance the art work. Whether an artist uses metal framing, wood or rustic, it should fit the aesthetic of the painting. The same goes for sculpture bases. Try to choose a base which goes well with the piece you have created.

When you come to the opening of the show, and your work was not selected for a prize, look at the winners and try to understand what the judge may have seen in the work that he/she may not have seen in yours. Your first reaction is to think the judge is an idiot and has no idea what is good. It is understandable to feel this way because it hurts to be passed over. Before you run the judge out of town on a rail, consider that most judges have studied art extensively over long years. They have a degree in fine art or art history and have been exposed to good work for many years. They are often very experienced, accomplished artists in their own right, many of them making a living from their work as I do.

Some judges are strongly biased and that is a shame. I try to choose a variety of mediums, subjects, and styles, because I do not want to be biased in any one direction. I am looking for narrative content, emotive content on top of a solid understanding of the technical properties of each medium. I am looking for a good understanding and execution of the principles of design in the work I select. I want to choose artists that are technically proficient as well as creative, looking for that winning combination of the above elements.

2 comments:

Rhonda Hurwitz said...

I enjoy your paintings, and always learn something when reading your blog.

Linda Blondheim said...

Rhonda,
Thank you so much or reading my blog. It is always good to find that people actually read it and that they find the information useful.
Love,
Linda