USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Blondheim Art Original Painting Exercise

6x7 inches
acrylic on paper






Painters Tip



The above painting is another exercise I gave myself on painting roses. It was to determine the initial geometric shape to the flowers. The exercise also had pencil lines of various angles and geometric shapes which I have cropped out. I have gotten into the habit of doing these little paintings on 65-110# index paper taped to a hard board and set on the easel. It works equally well for watercolor,pencil,oils and acrylics. I then use a 3 hole punch and put the paintings into my variously themed notebooks. They are not meant to be sellable paintings, only exercises for my own benefit. They last for years, even the oil paintings. By doing these initial paintings on paper, I can make notes in the margins, make copies of them on a copy machine and make them available for my students to put in their notebooks. The index paper is very inexpensive and since they are for my own use, archival condition is not an issue.

Doing these practice paintings really helps you explore a subject and feel your way around it. There is no pressure for excellence and no need to feel you are wasting good canvas or panels.

1 comment:

Leslie Anne Pease said...

Very interesting and GREAT idea!

Rose study is very different from what I usually see. Seems you are onto something new!