USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Blondheim Art Original Flower Painting

5x7 inches
acrylic on panel
unframed
115.00
Purchase: HERE





Painters Tip


There is something special about exploring a subject. The challenge, the research, all are interesting and new. I have been exploring flowers this year in preparation for teaching floral workshops. As you know, my painting style is not traditional at all. I have been able to choose a different path for my floral work than the usual approach.




I have put together a journal/diary for the floral project and I recommend that you do one as well. I have made one for all of my students that they can add to. This type of project is ongoing. I first added some information about taking good reference photos of flowers, then a monologue about collecting wild flowers, plant materials ,bird feathers and garden related materials. From there, I included various drawing and painting exercises which I have done on heavy index paper so that I could include it in the book. After that I added a color wheel, and dictionary list of terms about color and harmony, then reference photos of flowers and lastly, glued dried flowers to colored card and inserted them into a plastic paper protector and added this to the back of my book.




Now I have an interesting and useful book about the art of flowers. I can add to it periodically because it is all in a three ring binder. I used an image of a flower panting on the cover.




You could use this for any subject and make it a small treasure to enjoy.

2 comments:

Ed Terpening said...

Good ideas. I know when I struggled with painting ocean waves, I took the time to do some dedicated study. I approached painting waves as you would the figure: waves in fact have an anamoty, they are not random. Lots of drawing of waves at various points in time.

Linda Blondheim said...

Exactly Ed,
I am stuying trees this year and am going to make a book for them, just like the floral book. I think it is helpful to have these refrence books to go back to over and over again.