USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Blondheim Art Original Landscape Painting Trees


5x7 inches
acrylic on panel
unframed
115.00 includes shipping

Purchase: HERE






Painters Tip

A solution if your color palette is out of control.


Every now and then, I will lose control of my color palette. It doesn’t happen too much these days, but it often happened when I was a novice painter.

My solution is to cut my palette drastically to just a few colors and work with that for a few weeks. It really does the trick. I am one who likes to experiment with palettes, tweaking them all the time and adjusting them to the seasons. It’s easy to get too many colors going which causes disharmony in your color scheme for a painting.

When I need to cut my palette down to the basics, I use the following:

French Ultramarine Blue
Cadmium Yellow Lemon
Cadmium Red Light
Titanium White
Ivory Black

I find that I can get most of what I need with those five colors. It is very hard to get violet with that palette but you can get some very nice mauves and dirty purples with it. You could substitute a Cad red Medium or an Alizarin Crimson for the Cad red Light, but I love the Cad Red Light. The above painting was done with the limited palette.

I will use it for awhile until I feel confident again and then go back to a more versatile palette.

I also like to use other limited palettes like:

Red Iron Oxide
Lemon yellow
French Blue
Flake White
Ivory Black

That one is a great tonal palette for those dark winter days in Florida.

I’m not sure that I would want to use a limited palette all of the time because though you have harmony in the work, it all starts to look the same after awhile and that is a bit dull to me.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

I wish I could come to your open house this weekend to see these in person!

Linda Blondheim said...

Hi Kristen,
I really had fun putting this show of 5x7 inch paintings together. I ended up with about 45 paintings and they are all hung salon style from top to bottom, all in the same frames, so it looks pretty cool right now in my studio. It's all cleaned up and all the easels and paint put away for the weekend. I wish I could jkeep it thi clean all the time. :>)

Kristen said...

I sent your announcement to my daughter, who lives in Gainesville. Perhaps she will visit!

Linda Blondheim said...

Kristen,
So kind of you to pass it along. I hope she will come. Thank you very much.
Love,
Linda