USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Blondheim Art Acrylic or Oil Warm Up Exercise




Painters Tip


I do these great little exercises to warm up for painting. The lines up and down are with watered down paint. The lines from left to right are paint with acrylic glazing medium. I then mix the paint with gloss gel medium and do the swatches, using the stripes of color mixed. In other words, whatever lines form the square I'm going to paint, have those colors mixed together for the swatch of color.


The purpose of this exercise is doing brushwork, mixing harmonic colors, practicing glazing and different thicknesses of paint, and using multiple mediums. It goes pretty quickly and is a good way to start the painting session.

I use index paper and punch holes in it to save in my painting journal.

I sometimes change palettes to practice variety, but the key is to use a limited palette.

My palette for this exercise was the minimal palette I sometimes use on location:

Cadmium Red Light
French Ultramarine Blue
Cadmium Yellow Lemon
Ivory Black

I left off the white that I usually use.

This exercise works equally well for oil paints and oil mediums. I use the same index paper for both but of course, I let the oil paint dry for a few days before putting it in my notebook.

No comments: