USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Monday, April 09, 2007

Blondheim Art St Marks Lighthouse Florida Panhandle


8x10 inches
acrylic on panel
silver or gold frame
500.00
Purchase HERE
Painters Tip
Painting from photos
Many artists frown on using photos because they leave out so much in values and color. I think it's ok as long as you have a good working knowledge of painting from life. Since I paint out so much, it's fairly easy for me to use photos and to add or subtract from the photo, what I don't need for the painting.
You will need to decide what you want to focus on in the photo and leave out what is unimportant. The photo I used for the above painting had the lighthouse as part of the landscape, not as the focus. There was a lot of water in the photo and the lighthouse was pushed back and less important. I felt like the lighthouse should be the star of the painting , so I made a huge change in the importance, by making the water secondary.
Don't get the idea that you are locked in to what the photographer wanted to feature. I often change things around to suit the painting. My painting never look like the photos I use. The photo is just a jump off place for me. I often use several photo to make one painting, taking parts and pieces to make a complete painting. I take a lot of my own photos to use for paintings because that way I know what to hoot, which will be useful later in the studio.
I do recommend that you spend as much time as possible painting from life. There is no substitute for it, especially if you are inexperienced. That keen observation time will help tremendously.

2 comments:

Leslie Anne Pease said...

This painting is so inviting. Love the colors.

Linda Blondheim said...

Thank you very much Leslie. St Marks is one of the truely great places in Florida.
Love,
Linda