USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Blondheim Art Field of Palms


8x10 inches
acrylic on panel
gold or silver frame
500.00
Purchase HERE



Painters Tip

Substitutes for Blending

I used the above painting to illustrate to my workshop students several brush work options for using acrylics. Acrylics don't blend all that easily, so I have learned to use scumbling, stippling and short choppy brush strokes to simulate blending.

They work quite well in various combinations. The grasses were all done with short choppy brush strokes and stippling layers of color. It is hard to see in a digital image. The trunks were scumbled and stippled and most of the background trees were layered ith multiple short brush strokes and stippling. Then the background was thinly glazed with several layers to make the trees recede.


The interesting thing is that these techniques have made me a better oil painter too. I don't do nearly as much blending with oils as I used to. I have stolen some of the methods I learned from acrylics and am using them in my oil paintings. Way Cool.

No comments: