USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Blondheim Art Original Paintings



River Vegetation
8x10 inches
mixed media on panel
gold frame
500.00

Purchase HERE


Painters Journal


Imagine my surprise when I won a Blogger of The Day award yesterday. I have seen this award on other people's blogs, but now I have my own. What a treat!!

I get to go to another artist's studio tomorrow for a studio visit. I am looking forward to it. I don't get enough social time away from work. I become a hermit every summer, hiding in my studio, painting non-stop.

I decided to get rid of the floor easels that I keep for students and replace them with nice table top easels from Jack Richeson & Company. That gives me a lot more floor room in the studio and when I don't have workshops, I have more room for myself. I'm a minimalist by nature and don't like a lot of clutter in my workspace.

I am thinking about perhaps painting the studio walls a pale gray. They have always been white but I wonder if the art might show better on the gray. My other possibility is to install a gray carpet on one wall. One of my galleries has this and it looks great with paintings. Perhaps that can be a project next summer.


Painters Tip


An artist friend suggested that I give you a list of my favorite art books. Of course I love all kinds of art books, including the big table top books featuring various artists, but for this list, I will stick to instructional and text books for artists. My criteria for a good art book stays away from cute tricks and gimmicks for painting methods and techniques. I am old fashioned and don't much care for weird stuff. I like books that stick with traditional methods of painting. I will leave off some books that others will think are vitally important. She asked me for my favorites, not to list all of the good art books available.

I have been a life long student of design and so many of my favorites are of that topic. My favorite design books are:

Principles of Two Dimensional Design-Wong
A painter's Guide to Design and Composition-Schulzke
The Complete Guide to Perspective- Raynes
The Simple Secret to Better Painting-Albert


For Oil Painters:

The Complete Oil Painter- Gorst
Guide to Landscape Painting- Carlson
Oil Painting, Develop Your Natural Ability- Sovek
Basics- Sovek
The Big Book of Painting Nature - Schaeffer
How to Paint Flowers- Parramon-Crespo
Keys to Painting Trees and Foliage-Wolf

For Acrylic Painters:

Acrylic School- Harrison
Color Choices- Stephen Quiller

For Artists Who Draw:

The Elements of Drawing- Ruskin
Drawing Manual-Vilppu


Children's Illustration:

The best illustrator for me is James Marshall who wrote the George and Martha and Cut Ups series of books.



Marketing Books:

Art Marketing 101- Smith
How to Survive and Prosper as an Artist- Michels
Cultivating Collectors- Stanfield
Promotion For Pennies-Viders/Johnson

4 comments:

Jean Levert Hood said...

Well deserved award, Linda. Your posts are filled with helpful info and sharing of all of your knowledge. You're a great blogger -a real treat!

Linda Blondheim said...

Thank you for the kind comments Jean. I enjoy reading your blog too.
love,
Linda

Phyllis Russell Franklin said...

Congratulations Linda! Your blog has been a favorite of mine for a long time and it deserves this award and more. Thanks for all you do for the art world.

Linda Blondheim said...

Phyllis,
You are one o the great ladies of the art world. For tose of you who don't know, Phyllis is the founder of Southern Ladies Art Conference.

www.southernladiesart.com