USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Friday, July 20, 2007

Blondheim Art original Paintings



Blue Pond
12x16 inches
oil on panel
SOLD

See my paintings HERE



Painters Tip



Deciding What To Paint


I had an email the other day from a beginning painter who wanted to know about how I arrive at subjects to paint.

I am one of those lucky people who likes a lot of things. You see my landscapes every day but I am really interested in many things. I paint a lot of different subjects but I don’t show most of them. I show my landscapes because that is what people expect to see and what I feel is my strongest work. I’m a terrible still life painter but I love that subject. I love Daniel Greene’s still life and subway paintings. I love his palette too. We can’t all be masters however. ( By the way, Daniel Greene Oils are superb. They are my favorite oils.)

I am visually excited about things like furniture, quilts, rugs, fruits and vegetables, trees, shoes, flowers, the sea, palms, and mountains of late. I am always collecting photos and objects that are interesting to use later for paintings. I never know what will capture my interest, and that is what makes my life as a painter a constant adventure. Whenever I travel, I am seeing new places and things which motivate and excite me.

If you are tired of what you are painting, find some new subjects which interest you. One reason I like being a landscape painter is that the category is vast, including many climates and terrains, and many subjects like architecture, mountains, the sea, desert, etc. Think about how many possibilities you have as a floral painter, or figurative or interior painter; endless possibilities.

The secret is to paint what you understand and love. I don’t paint the desert. Never been there, don’t understand or have an emotional connection to it. I love the South and so that is what I paint. I love the history, culture, food and land here and I celebrate it with my work. I want to bring it to life for all of those people who think theme parks are the South. I wish to celebrate my heritage and show my love for something which is precious to me.

The other issue is technical. Are you at a stage in your work where you feel you are ready to tackle difficult subjects? I have no problem at all with doing very bad paintings of subjects I don’t understand, like complex bridges, boats, portraits and so forth, because they help me to learn my craft. However, if you are sensitive about how your work will be viewed, you might want to wait until you can do simple subjects well, before jumping into the deep end of the pool.

No comments: