USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Blondheim Art Original Paintings



Western North Carolina Farm
8x10 inches
mixed media on panel
gold frame
500.00

Purchase HERE

I spent a delightful morning with my friend, artist Carol Drummond, in her light filled studio. She lives in the historic district, in a fine old home, full of antiques and a substantial art collection. Carol is a fiber artist as well as a painter. Her quilts are colorful and narrative, with many themes. You can see one in the photo. She is enormously talented and charming as well. She is one of the best kinds of artists, humble and kind.

It is always great to visit another artist's studio. We learn so much and it gives us inspiration for our own work. Thanks Carol!!!







Painters Tip


Observation


Painting on location is not the only way to gain knowledge for landscape painting. Have you taken the time to go out and simply observe? Go to a state park, botanical garden, or even your own back yard and just take a look around. I like to take a little journal or sketchbook with me to take notes about what I see. I write about how cast shadows work, direction of light, color temperature I observe, etc. What does the ground look like up close, and then receding? What do I see in the foreground,, middle and back ground in the place I'm sitting. What kind of texture on bark, grass foliage? In truth, it is the better way to learn about these things, because when we are painting, we are involved with the process of pushing the paint around and the difficulties of making it work.

Just sitting still and observing is a great way to build your knowledge about what things really look like.

No comments: