USA Collectors

Linda Blondheim Art Collector Map
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Blondheim Art Original Paintings



Old Oak
8x10 inches
acrylic on panel
gold frame
500.00

Purchase HERE


Painters Tip

Choosing The Right Format Orientation, Support and Size

I don’t know why but I never sell 16x20 inch paintings. I sell everything from 5x7 to 14x18 inches and 18x24 inches to 36x48 or larger. The common middle size is no man’s land for my work. I have no good explanation for this. The other oddity is that my horizontal format is the most popular with square format being second, and vertical coming in dead last. Finally, my patrons do not like the deep gallery wrap canvases for my work in anything smaller than 30x40 inches. They even have that size framed. They really don’t like my paintings unframed.

It is important for you to pay attention to this with your own work if you want to sell it. Remember, it is not about what is convenient for you or what you might personally prefer. It is about your patrons desires.

I have a habit of researching what patrons like the best because it helps me to make a living. I’m not suggesting that anyone do cows because they think people will buy cows. I paint what I like. What I am saying is that if your patrons prefer paintings in gold frames instead of gallery wrap, then it might be a good idea to frame your paintings in gold.

I have run into a lot of artists over the years that have the attitude that they must do their own thing and to heck with what patrons may want. That works fine as long as you are willing to have another job to support yourself. If you intend to make a living off your art, you should pay attention to what your buyers are saying with their wallets about format, sizes, and framing.

2 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Linda, I really appreciate all your painting tips. Sorry I don't say so more often. Love this painting, too.

Thanks for the new blog as well.

Jo

Linda Blondheim said...

Hi Jo,
How nice you are to comment. I'm so glad the blogs are helpful for you. Thanks for reading Art Notes.
Love,
Linda